Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

List of Board Games

Expert Author McKay Anderson
There are two styles of Avid gamers. Don't get them mixed-up. I despised the name 'Gamer' for many years. I didn't suspect it related to me in the slightest. See, I grew up not knowing much more than Mario Kart as well as the Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo 64. Those were the good days. It didn't take long for me to leave behind the video game systems and head for a kind of what I may likely judge far more 'wholesome' entertainment. I fell deeply in love with board games.
For sure, video games have their place, still I would bring up 3 reasons why I in essence rejected video games and ventured into Tabletop Games. A few might not seem that different, and many bear similarities and yet i am going to lay out a handful of ground rules for activities that I approve of.
First would include activity. I rejoiced when the Wii from Nintendo was released not to mention the Kinect from Microsoft. Motion has a way of improving game play regardless of what it is. As opposed to the thumbs being the main thing moving, I like a game or activity that requires action. The more action the better. Card games aren't that action intensive, but you have to admit there is certainly a whole lot more in arranging pieces, cards, rolling dice, and dealing cards than there is in the flicking of a joystick. Thus, I really like video games similar to 'Just Dance'.
Second I might add that social interaction is essential. In this board or tabletop games take a large stride in front of video games. If you are going to be having fun, why not share it with people. We remember events a great deal more if someone else was associated. Mario Party was an amazing invention and I still have Mario Kart tournaments with my relatives. Tabletop Games are virtually solely two or more players. Board Games are excellent for their encouragement of social interaction.
And the last is physicality. Perhaps sometime in the future video games will bridge this gap, however for now, board games have the upper hand on the physical component. The other day I played a game of Quirkle and the board was so eye-catching I simply had to sit there and stare at it for a short time. I was in awe. I would submit there is an aesthetic benefit that accompanies Board Games that you simply cannot get with video games.
Board games and video games certainly provide their advantages and drawbacks, nevertheless I merely hoped to present a few reasons why I think that board games usually beat out video games. The physical activity involved, the social interaction, and physicality are just 3 of the reasons why I will always take pleasure in board games.
For more information on Board Games and a list of my favorites visit http://www.thelistofboardgames.com

No comments:

Post a Comment